Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Great Day at Iowa Choral Director's Association...

Quick post today...

I had a great day at the Iowa Choral Director's Association's 36th Annual Summer Symposium.  The highlight of my day was co-leading the Ethnic and Multicultural Music Reading Session with Nick Page.  The session was my last official duty as the out-going Repertoire and Standards Chair for E/M music.  It was a pleasure to meet Nick, who is a wonderful person and a strong advocate for multicultural music as a bridge to understanding.  Also, a special big thank you to my long-time friend Darcy Hendriks, who accompanied both Nick and I for the reading session.

Another great part of the day was the annual worship service held at the convention.  This year's prayer service of hymns and scripture was lead by Michael Burkhardt.  Dr. Burkhardt is a nationally renowned church musician, and he did a fantastic job creating this year's prayer service.

Carol Stewart's speech about the importance of our art upon receiving the Robert McCowen Award inspired and empowered.  I hope to carry the echoes of her words a long time in my heart.

Finally, it was a bittersweet day for me.  I have been an extremely active member of the Iowa Chapter of the American Choral Director's Association since joining in 2005.  There are many men and women in the ICDA for whom I have developed a great deal of respect and admiration. Some of these colleagues have become like family.  We rejoice in each other's success, and help each other in our moment's of professional frustration.  It was humbling to hear so many of my colleagues who I admire, lament my departure from the state.  It is great to feel that sense of belonging and appreciation.

 As I re-establish myself in my home state of Minnesota, I am hopeful that I can develop similar professional connections.  But to those brothers (and sisters) in song from Iowa, I will always remain close.  I may make a point to come down to future ICDA conventions from time to time, but I will definitely see you at divisional and national conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment