Friday, June 3, 2011

Choral Conductor as "Addict"

So what is the purpose of this blog?  Will anyone read it?  Or is this merely an exercise for me to work out my own intelluctual problems?

First the genesis of the title of this blog, which is a long convaluted story.  Recently, I have been reading a book that I have been planning to read for a long time, Parker's "Once a Runner".  I was a competitive distance runner in high school and college, and took pride in my athletic achievements no matter how humble.  Early in the book Parker describes the obsessively regimented life of a competitive distance runner.  I remember it well.  My entire schedule was centered around when I was going to "get my miles in" for the day to contribute to my ever increasing weekly mileage goal.  I miss that compulsion, which leads me to the greater realization I have what one might call an "addictive personality". 

How so...

It is human nature for people to harbor some sort of compulsion or addictive behavior. I would venture to label my compulsion is border line hoarding.  Looking back on my life I have collected or horded a lot of things: comic books, sports cards, video games, CDs, books, and now choral music octavos.  Unfortunately, I still possess many of these items, which reminds of the idea that we can be "weighed down by our possessions."  I need to declutter, especially now

Conversely, I would argue that being single-minded or compulsive in our pursuits and behavior is not all bad.  As long as I pick and choose where I allow my addictive behavior to manifest itself, it can contribute positively to my life.  So I have decided to be addicted to these things:

1.) My family - my wife and children always number one on my list.
2.) My faith - when I remain active in a faith a community, and my own spiritual development, that is when I feel focused.
3.) Running - I know I won't run a mile in about 4:45 again, but I could sure stand to get back in the healthy habit of distance running.  I often equated my distance running sessions in my youth as "mobile meditation".
4.) Choral music - however, admittedly I could stand to pair down the choral octavo library, and book collection.  This blog will serve as an outlet for this addiction as I write about choral topics I find interest in.

That means all the fairly meaningless distractions of my long ago youth need to be sold off, given away, or just thrown out.  Only by simplification and focus can we maximize our potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment